Welcome to a new series called A Peek Into My Life This Month.
Occasionally teachers ask me personal questions and I thought this would be a fun way to answer. It’ll also be nice for me to share things that I love and keep track of these memories for myself.
I’m learning that life is more enjoyable when we stop and really appreciate the moment. I think keeping track of my “monthly memories” will help me to enjoy the present more and that’ll be a great tone to set for 2018!
What I'm Doing in My Music Studio
1. I’m teaching anything and everything Christmas, of course! Thank goodness I’m blessed with students who love Christmas music as much as I do.
2. I also enjoy sneaking in lots of theory through Christmas games that celebrate the reason for the season. For SO many years I resisted playing games during lessons and I regret that. It’s such a FUN way to build a solid musical foundation. (You can read more about that here.)
3. I'm planning for next semester by "playing detective" now - What are my students' weaknesses? For example - some kids need to work on scales. I have another student who relies a little too much on her ear and needs to solidify her note reading. Setting goals for everyone!
4. Finally, I’ve been playing Christmas music for my personal enjoyment and also to prep for an upcoming school recital. The kids were supposed to sing “Happy Birthday Jesus” - but get this - unfortunately SO many students were sick that the whole performance was canceled at the last minute! Such a bummer...)
What I'm Reading
I’m an avid reader and always in the middle of a book - usually multiple books! That’s why I started the Upbeat Piano Teacher Book Club. (If you’re not a member, you can read more about it here.)
Right now I’m reading:
1. The Dawning of Indestructible Joy by John Piper - This book is full of daily readings for Advent. It’s new for me and I’m enjoying it. Each reading is only 1-2 pages and helps me to focus on God during this busy season.
2. Made to Crave Devotional by Lysa Terkeurst - One of my big goals recently has been to get a little healthier. I joined Weight Watchers back in June and have dropped 20 pounds. (Go me!) Even though I’ve lost some weight and love WW, this whole journey has been tough.
This Made to Crave Devotional really helps remind me to keep my focus on God and trust that HE should be my source of joy - not chocolate! (I have to be reminded of this constantly!)
3. The Twelve Week Year by Brian P. Moran - I just got this book and am SO excited! A dear friend recommended it to me and the concept sounds fabulous to a planner like me. I'll do a review once I'm finished!
4. The Christmas Promise by Donna VanLiere - I love fiction and I love Christmas. This is the perfect combo for this time of year!
Next month the Upbeat Piano Teacher Book Club starts a new book. I'd love to have you join us. You can read more about it here.
What I'm Watching
1. Hallmark movies! Feel free to laugh at me - that's my ironing board set up in our family room because this time of year I love to get my ironing done while I watch Hallmark Channel.
Of course, sometimes I actually curl up by the fire with a cup of hot cocoa and just relax, but life has been busy. This is a great way for me to multi-task! (And yes - I’m like the only person who still irons their clothes!)
2. Pentatonix Christmas - Did you see their Christmas special? They are fabulous!
3. Various Christmas movies - I absolutely LOVE The Santa Clause Series with Tim Allen and of course, Elf is always on our watchlist EVERY Christmas too!
4. Oh! And we've been to the movie theater twice this month. (A real treat for us!) We saw "Wonder" with Julia Roberts (great!) and "Thor Ragnarok" (We love Marvel movies, so yes - this was great!)
What I'm Working On
I'm just starting to organize my thoughts and goals for the New Year. The picture above is my Powersheets Planner from this year. As far as 2018, here are some thoughts:
1. Sara and I are already working on the next webinar series and we’re SO excited!
2. College visits for my son. (Wasn't he a toddler only yesterday?) A BIG focus for me in 2018 will be living in the moment and enjoying every one!
3. Personal and business goals for the new year. I’ll share some of those next month. One goal will definitely be getting back into my morning routine after the busy holiday season!
I'd love to hear what you've been doing this month!
Note: Some of links in this post are affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Hi there! I'm Tracy Selle. A Christian wife, mom, and author of 101 Piano Practice Tips. I'm also a piano teacher and founder of Upbeat Piano Teachers.